When installing insulation in their homes, many people overlook underfloor insulation and underestimate how much of an effect it can have. Underfloor insulation helps prevent heat loss or gain through your floor to help you feel comfortable inside, even if it’s uncomfortably hot or cold outside.
Why should you install underfloor insulation?
Along with insulation in other areas of your home, underfloor insulation is a great investment, and can offer financial, environmental, lifestyle and well-being benefits.
The advantages of installing underfloor insulation include:
- Better heat regulation in your home, to help create a more comfortable indoor environment even in mid winter and mid summer.
- Less reliance on heating and cooling appliances, leading to increased energy savings.
- Less energy use and household emissions means a reduction in your environmental impact.
- Reduced transfer of noise via the floors to help create a more quiet and peaceful indoor space.
How long does it take to install underfloor insulation?
The time it takes to install underfloor insulation depends on how big the area is you’re insulating, how easy it is to access, and how many hands you have to help you. Generally you should be able to complete the job within a day, and start experiencing the benefits immediately.
Many people choose to install underfloor insulation themselves, but others prefer to let a professional do it. If you decide to go DIY, make sure you understand what will be involved, and do the necessary research first. Poorly installed insulation may not be as effective, meaning you won’t get the bang for your buck, and won’t see as much energy savings as you could.
Before starting any DIY insulation installation, make sure you take the necessary safety steps to avoid injury. The area under your house can be very dusty, and may have hazardous materials such as broken glass or sharp pieces of rubbish.
It’s a good idea to wear safety glasses, a dust mask, gloves and long sleeves, especially if access to your underfloor is narrow. Light up the area so you can see what you’re doing, and take care not to rush the process.
What is the best insulation for underfloor?
There are many types of underfloor insulation, but some of the most popular are polyester rolls; glasswool insulation batts and extruded polystyrene (XPS).
- Polyester rolls are pleasant to work with and have no itchiness. They are installed between floor joists and then stapled in place, but take care that no gaps are left, or this could negatively impact their effectiveness.
- Glasswool batts are easy to handle in confined spaces and can be installed in between floor joists, then strapped in place. They also perform best if they are not compressed and when no gaps are left.
- XPS panels are installed before the concrete foundation is poured. They are dense and very effective for their relative thinness.
At Pricewise Insulation, we supply a wide selection of high quality underfloor insulation that is great for DIY applications, easy to handle and very effective. Browse our selection or get in touch with us today.