Clogged drains are one of the most unpleasant things to deal with. It doesn’t matter if it’s a bathroom sink, toilet, or kitchen sink; nobody wants to deal with a clogged drain! The debris clogged in your drainage system causes plumbing issues, so you need to be cautious about the foods you rinse off your plate and down into your drain. You may not be able to stop your drain from clogging, but you can still prevent it by avoiding some very obvious things.
To save yourself from plumbing issues, here are some prevention tips and tricks to follow to keep your plumbing in order and working for years to come:
- Do not let trash food go down your drain. Collect all the hard food such as bones, pasta, cereal, or large chunks of food and dispose of them in the trash can. Your garbage disposal isn’t meant to take your leftovers; it’s intended to catch the scraps that slip past. Collect these items before your drain swallows them up.
- Prevent flushing toilet paper, pads, cotton buds, or even hairs down the toilet. Some of these things may be hard to avoid at times, but it can be avoided most of the time. These items are likely to clog your drains and cause problems in your bathroom. Throw these toiletries in a trash can and dispose of them properly in an outside trash can.
- Refrain from draining greasy, oily, and fatty substances. Even coffee beans should not be drained out. These substances solidify and stick to the pipe’s insides and slowly build up to clog the drains. You can drain off old bacon grease in a soda can or bottle and send it to the trash, and coffee grounds can easily be tossed in the trash.
- Pour hot water in your drain once or twice a month. This will help clean your pipes of any grease and dislodge matter in drains. Add some soap and bleach to clear out any build-up that may be binding to the inside of the pipes and flush that gunk out.
- Use the kind of products that are effective in killing bacteria present in drains. Such products will eat out any organic substances clogging your drainage system. Just follow the instructions on the package, and let it do its work. You can even boil water and mix in decreasers to really disrupt the grit and grime accumulated on the inside of your plumbing.
- Drain traps prevent any solid substances from going down the drains. Use drain traps in sinks to prevent drains from clogging. You can also use a stopper to prevent foods from passing down the drain and clogging up your pipes.
Follow these simple and quick, easy steps to prevent your drains from clogging, and you won’t need to deal with monthly plumbing issues anymore. If your drains backup or get damaged, despite the prevention, you can always call Alpine Trade Group for professional help. These simple preventative tips should keep your drains from clogging up and save you time, money, and headache.