Mold spores are present in all environments and range in severity. While some never grow into anything serious, others have the ability to become quite toxic if not controlled.
Mold is common in most homes and is easily treated, black mold, on the other hand, sparks more of a concern. This fungus comes with a lot of danger because of the health risk that is associated with it.
As concerning as it might be, it’s unfortunately not easy to spot, and often times has already taken on a life of its own before becoming visible to the naked eye. There are some warning signs, however, that can help alert you about a possible black mold infestation in your home. Keep reading to find out what they might be.
What Is Black Mold?
Black mold is a micro fungus that is most commonly found in cellulose-rich building materials. It’s usually found in damp spaces and can spread rapidly throughout homes.
It’s often associated with being a toxic substance but that’s not always the case. While it’s certainly not wanted in buildings, it’s presence doesn’t necessarily mean poison.
There’s black colored mold that’s non-toxic but does invoke allergic reactions, much like other types of mold. Then there’s black toxic mold, which releases mycotoxins into the air which are then inhaled.
Both are unpleasant to deal with and should be removed from the home as soon as they’re spotted. While the two are different, they present the same signs around the house.
Leaks and floods could lead to an outbreak of the fungus in your space since black mold thrives in moist areas. If you’ve recently experienced access water in your home, be on the lookout for water stains which are a strong sign that black mold is near.
These stains appear in the form of dark spots and cause discoloration on everything from walls, floors, ceilings, to furniture.
Your home could be showing signs of black mold if there’s a lingering odor present. Black mold has a distinct smell that’s more potent than other types. It’s described as being musty and similar to sweaty socks.
The biggest danger of black mold is the health risks that come along with it. The symptoms are similar to allergies so it may be difficult to realize that mold is the cause.
Black mold exposure comes in the form of itchy skin, persistent headaches, and fatigue. While these aren’t uncommon symptoms of other conditions, they could be a strong indicator of poison and should be dealt with as soon as possible.
Once you rule out allergies and sinuses as the root of your irritation, you should seek medical attention and look into getting mold remediation for your home.
Know the Signs
Black mold can pose a serious health risk and even be fatal if not properly controlled. No home is immune to developing this problem so it’s important to know the signs and seek professional assistance when needed.
Don’t let black mold take over your home, find the problem and remove it before it overtakes your space!
Let us know your thoughts below and explore the rest of our website for more guides like this.